We are a completely independent production, and we create our own original stories. Many of our actors perform and teach at Magnet Theater in New York City. Our stories are directed and sound designed by Jonathan Mitchell, who has been making radio for over 20 years.
Our stories have been broadcast all over the world, and featured on public radio programs like This American Life, All Things Considered, Planet Money, Studio 360, and Snap Judgment.
We're a founding member of Radiotopia from PRX.
THE TRUTH makes movies for your ears: short stories that are sometimes dark, sometimes funny, and always intriguing. Each story is different, and usually 10 to 20 minutes long. We take you to unexpected places using only sound. For best results, use headphones!
Praise for the Truth
- “I know of nothing else in the audio-sphere like The Truth — and nothing smarter, more entertaining, consistently surprising or beautifully produced, either.”
Kurt Andersen, novelist and host of Studio 360
- “What makes Jonathan Mitchell’s audio-fiction program so captivating is how incredibly well-executed it is, and how unquestionably modern it feels.”
Patrick Caldwell, The Daily Dot
- “With his crazy amalgam of skills, Jonathan Mitchell is one of the few producers capable of creating the next revolution in audio storytelling.”
Jad Abumrad, host and producer of Radiolab
- "The stories from The Truth have made me laugh and cry, they’ve left me speechless, and they’ve pushed me to contemplate the meaning of life. What creator Jonathan Mitchell and his team are able to do with audio is nothing short of extraordinary.”
Patricia Thang, Book Riot
- “Radio drama done right”
Roman Mars, host and producer of 99% Invisible
- “Alchemical magic”
Pete Naughton, The Telegraph
- “I’ve been bingeing on The Truth podcast. REALLY well done. Highly recommended.”
Lee Unkrich, director of Toy Story 3 and Coco
- “The Truth is kino AF.”
Anonymous 4chan user
Who We Are
JONATHAN MITCHELL (writer, director, producer) has contributed a wide range of work— documentaries, fictional stories, non-narrated sound collages, and original music— to all sorts of programs: RadioLab, Studio 360, This American Life, All Things Considered, Planet Money, and PBS’s Nova, to name a few. His work has won many awards, including the Peabody, Third Coast Festival, The Sarah Lawrence College International Audio Fiction Award, and the Gold Mark Time Award for Best Science Fiction Audio. He studied music composition at University of Illinois and Mills College.
DAVY GARDNER (writer, associate producer) is a New York City-based writer, producer, performer, and director. He is a writer for the UCB Theater in New York. He won Best First Time Screenwriter and Best Dark Comedy at the 2019 Los Angeles Film Awards. He has taught writing and comedy at The School of the New York Times and has directed various sketch shows, short films, and plays—including scenes at the 2018 All New Talent Fest at Ars Nova Theater and the 2017 Ice Factory Festival at the New Ohio Theater. He taught writing and comedy at the School of the New York Times. For more visit: DavyGardner.com
EMILY MARINOFF (associate producer) is an audio producer and writer. Before The Truth, she worked tirelessly at Roads & Kingdoms, producing their podcast “The Trip” and contributing travel and food writing to R&K and its sister site, Explore Parts Unknown. She is a graduate of Sarah Lawrence College, where she studied literature, gender studies, and non-fiction writing. In 2018, she served as a student juror for the Sarah Lawrence College International Audio Fiction Awards. An LA native, she travelled away from constant sunshine to New York, where winters give her an excuse to stay inside, drink tea, and teach herself how to make bread.